Monday, April 21, 2008

the boredom, the freedom, and the time spent alone.

So, recently my accomplishments were celebrated and this was a strange albeit pleasant occurance for me. I spend most of my time alone. I like this about my life, although I don't consider myself a misanthrope. I'm actually pretty social and I like talking to people, asking questions, sharing andecdotes and whatnot. But, to be the center of attention for hours and hours was tiring and simultaneously a really a fun experience. It suprised me to find so much pleasure in it because even though I enjoy people, I always felt like I could be one of the last people on earth and be okay with that. I have always enjoyed fiction about the last people at the end of the world (The Stand, The Quiet Earth, Where Have All the People Gone, After the Plague, god there are a lot more I'm getting tired of naming them). But tonite I watched that 28 Weeks Later and I don't think I can romanticize the apocalypse anymore. Sidenote: apocalypse means lifting the veil in Greek. I really enjoyed the first film, and I guess I liked this one (like is a weird word for such a hopeless, sad, violent film) but I also kind of felt emotionally abused by it. Like a little piece of my soul died while watching it. And I guess that's a good thing for a film, or any piece of art to make you feel, or is it? I mean it's something, for sure, but is more of bad. good? Anyhoo, I have rejoined the land of the talkers and the cocktail partyiers and the barbecuers for at least the temporary. And I feel pretty good about that. I love the people. I recently reread Revelations (for artistic research) and I think I'm going to trade it in for some People magazine for awhile. For the sake of my delicate heart, sometimes I gotta dial it back.

No comments: